Colombia is the gateway to South America. It’s the only country that connects South America to Central America. Its landscape consists of rainforests, coffee plantations, the Andes Mountains, and coral reef islands off the coast. Its biggest cities are the capital Bogotá, Medellín, and the port city Cartagena. Colombia is home to many celebrities like singer Shakira, actress Sofia Vergara, singer Maluma, dj Erick Morillo, and actor John Leguizamo.
Colombia shares the Andes Mountain range with neighbors Ecuador and Venezuela. In fact, the capital city of Bogota is the highest city in the world at 2600 m (8530 ft). Colombia shares the Amazon Rainforest area with Brazil, Venezuela, Ecuador, and Peru. It also has islands off its coast in both the Atlantic Ocean and Pacific Ocean. It’s part of the Ring of Fire so it’s subject to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.
Colombia has a mainly tropical climate, although many cities in the mountains have a Mountain climate. Most of the country lies in the warm altitudinal zone with temperatures of 24°C (75°F) and above.
Interesting Facts About Colombia
- Colombia is the only country in South America to have coastline on both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.
- Infamous drug lord Pablo Escobar offered to pay Colombia’s national debt of $10 billion to improve his reputation and escape punishment.
- Medellin used to be the murder capital of the world, with 17 murders everyday in 1991. It has since undergone a revival and is now a popular cultural hub. America’s own singer Nicky Jam and wife bought a house in Medellin.
- Colombia is one of 17 “megadiverse” countries in the world.
- Colombia is on the equator. It’s a hot country!
- Soccer/futbol is one of the most popular sports in Colombia
- Many non-Spanish speakers pronounce the name of the country wrong. Instead of pronouncing it Columbia, it’s pronounced Col-o-mbia, with a long o in the middle.
- Despite its reputation as a country full of drugs and crime, it’s actually one of the most beautiful places on earth with some of the friendliest and happiest people in the world. It’s a hopeful, helpful, endearing, and diverse nation with a lot to offer.